Watford Selected as 2021 GCHS Employee of the Year

Christina+Watford+has+numerous+strengths+that+she+brings+to+the+counseling+office%2C+including+strong+organization.+

Rose Seivers

Christina Watford has numerous strengths that she brings to the counseling office, including strong organization.

Rose Seivers, Staff Reporter

The 2021 GCHS Employee of the Year is school counselor Christina Watford.  In a year that has been filled with constant changes, the necessity and importance of school counselors has been made more apparent. GCHS’s school counseling office has been able to handle those changes due to help from Watford. 

This is Watford’s thirteenth year teaching. Before counseling, she taught in Georgia for five years. Eventually, she decided to go in a different direction afterwards in her career and moved into the counseling office. Watford said, “I love being in a one-on-one environment. That has just always been my personality. So, I really wanted to do something where I could bring both teaching and helping students together.”

Junior Nautica Stamatis said, “Mrs.s Watford is good at reaching out to her students. She has helped me make plans for grade recovery. Mrs. Watford works to keep students on track to graduate.” 

Watford believes one of her strengths is working with others. She explained that the Great Crossing environment is an easy place to have fun and be successful. She also discussed her connection with other staff members in the building, and how she is able to better connect with them and students. “I have a really good support system within the counseling office. There is a lot of energy in this building.” 

I love being in a one-on-one environment. That has just always been my personality. So, I really wanted to do something where I could bring both teaching and helping students together.”

— Christina Watford, school counselor

The counseling office is a fast paced environment, and because of that, Watford relates to students who have many tasks to do when they come to school. “My normal day at work has to be flexible, because I can come in and have to do fifteen different things.” She also shared how she is able to be positive when tackling a harder task. 

Watford believes her strengths include her having a strong work ethic and staying organized.  “I work really well with people and can see both parts of an argument. We might have to agree to disagree, but we have done so in a way that is respectful to everyone involved.” 

Nick Maxwell, also a member of the counseling office at GCHS, recognized several additional strengths in Watford.  He said, “She is fantastic at seeing possible issues when it comes to decisions. She cares a lot about this school and the parents. She helps me stay organized and she always knows what to say. She is not afraid to tell you the truth or be herself.”

Principal Joy Lusby also recognized Mrs. Watford’s cooperation and education knowledge. “Christina’s contributions to student mental health, safety, and the establishment of trust help GCHS secure the student-centered culture that makes us who we are as a school.”