The Crossing Chronicle

Reporting the News of Great Crossing High School

The Crossing Chronicle

The Crossing Chronicle

Poll

This poll has ended.

Do you plan to attend prom on April 13th

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Student Council Holds First Ever Officer Election

Elections Give More Ownership to the Students
Student+council+members+were+involved+in+the+planning+of+the+Homecoming+dance+held+in+October.++
Photo Submitted
Student council members were involved in the planning of the Homecoming dance held in October.

For the first time in Great Crossing’s history, student council officers were chosen through a student election. In the past, student council was led by student leaders, but not by a set group of leaders with defined roles. Positions of president, vice-president, secretary, and treasurer were offered to members of the student body in all grade levels. 

During the election period, those running for an office created slideshows that expressed to the student body why they were the best for the job. When election day arrived, students of all grade levels voted through a Google form.  Senior Jackson Hadaway was elected president, junior Hala Ammari as vice president, junior Lillian Cooper as secretary, and senior Abby Smith as treasurer.

If you feel that you are in a position to represent your peers and feel the need to do so, you should follow that impulse.

— Jackson Hadaway, senior

Having an elected body of officers makes the group stronger.  With the incorporation of officer roles, individual student voices can be heard more clearly, club meetings are run more efficiently, and students interested in having leadership experience for career/college prep have easier access to leadership roles. 

President Hadaway is looking forward to serving his peers. He said, “If you feel that you are in a position to represent your peers and feel the need to do so, you should follow that impulse. If people with all kinds of perspectives are present, the student body is better represented, which is ultimately the goal of this organization.”

This development in the organization of Student Council not only benefits the students of Great Crossing High School but also the club’s advisor, faculty member Jessica Catron.

Catron has been the advisor for Great Crossing’s student council for the past four years. During this time as advisor to Student Council, Catron has seen many changes occur within leadership, but this is the first year that she has worked with a team of student officers. Catron explained, “There will be a lot of work for the leaders this year, but it’s going to be exciting to watch them grow in their positions and set the standard for Student Council leadership in the future.”

One benefit of having elected student officers is a greater variety of what types of events that will be planned for the student body.  Alongside new student officer positions, Student Council planned their agenda for the year. In the past, student leaders in student council have only planned events such as the Spirit Week activities and the Homecoming dance. This year, however, student leaders will be planning at least one event a month.  Some activities will focus on volunteering and helping with community events like the canned food drive that benefits the Amen House, while others will focus on more social events such as spirit weeks, pep rallies, and dances, and games. 

Catron stated, “I want this club to be a group that makes our school and our community a better pl

View Comments (1)