GCHS Prepares to Host “A Night in the Garden” for Students

The+student+body+selected+these+students+for+the+senior+prom+court.++Front+row%3A+Ryann+Thomas%2C+Bianca+Ward%2C+Maddie+Allen%2C+Taylor+Peters+and+Shelby+Smith.++Back+row%3A+Cash+Turner%2C+Tye+Schureman%2C+Colin+Ramey%2C+Kalib+Perry+and+Spencer+Hanson.+

Leslie Murphy

The student body selected these students for the senior prom court. Front row: Ryann Thomas, Bianca Ward, Maddie Allen, Taylor Peters and Shelby Smith. Back row: Cash Turner, Tye Schureman, Colin Ramey, Kalib Perry and Spencer Hanson.

Emily Kessler, Staff Reporter

On April 23, 2022, Great Crossing High School will host its first junior and senior prom at the Alltech Arena. Students and staff are excited to host this event for students and provide a much needed sense of normalcy to students that has often been missing due to the pandemic.

The theme this year is “A Night In the Garden,” and juniors/seniors on the prom committee have been working hard behind the scenes to prepare for the event.  Corbin Willoughby, a senior on the prom committee, said, ”Prom committee is full of great people who have lots of different ideas. All of us coming together is what’s helping make prom preparation smooth and efficient.” 

I’m looking forward to having a traditional prom because to me, it feels like a rite of passage. Our junior prom was canceled last year due to Covid precautions so it’s exciting that we get to go this year! I believe these types of events are an important part of the school experience.

— Maddie Allen, senior

Students attending are anxiously awaiting prom night. Caroline Huston, a junior, said, “I am very excited to go to my first prom. I feel like it is a night people talk about all the time when they look back on their younger days, and I can’t wait to see what it’s all about.”  

For seniors, this prom night is even more special due to the losses of other school events in past years. “I’m looking forward to having a traditional prom because to me, it feels like a rite of passage. Our junior prom was canceled last year due to Covid precautions so it’s exciting that we get to go this year! I believe these types of events are an important part of the school experience. It feels like the school is recognizing our hard work by planning the prom for us,” said senior Maddie Allen 

Recently, the Great Crossing student body voted for senior representatives for the school’s first prom court. The males will be represented by Spencer Hanson, Kalib Perry, Colin Ramey, Tye Schureman, and Cash Turner.  Female representatives include Maddie Allen, Taylor Peters, Shelby Smith, Ryann Thomas, and Bianca Ward.

Ramey said, “I’m pretty excited for prom, especially with it being the real deal, and it being my first time going. Being on prom court is a real surprise. I never thought I’d be in a place like this, and it’s pretty exciting.” 

Turner sees being on prom court as a positive way to end his time at Great Crossing. Turner said, “High school has been a fun journey, so I’m excited to end high school on a high note on prom court.” 

Great Crossing’s principal Joy Lusby is just as excited as the students for prom night. “I’m over the moon excited for our students—it’s our very first prom!  I can’t believe it’s taken three years for us to have prom, but we’re here and I’m thankful,” Lusby said.