Game of Tiaras Comes to GCHS Auditorium This Weekend

The+fall+production+for+the+drama+department+this+year+is+Game+of+Thrones+and+it+opens+this+weekend+in+the+GCHS+auditorium.++

Bailey Smith

The fall production for the drama department this year is Game of Thrones and it opens this weekend in the GCHS auditorium.

Liv Thomas, Staff Reporter

Great Crossing’s drama department has selected Game of Tiaras for its fall production. The play is a parody of Disney characters, Shakespeare’s King Lear, and the hit tv show Game of Thrones. In this production, the king of a magical kingdom decides to step down from the throne and splits the kingdom among his three daughters: Cinderella, Belle, and Ellie. Belle refuses to play her father’s game and it leads to a terrible, hilarious tragedy. Game of Tiaras is the tale of the three princesses as they navigate through a war their father started.

Game of Tiaras was chosen by director Ashlie Schmidt and co-director Jessica Vaught. It is typical to start planning for a play nine weeks in advance. Schmidt explained what happens in the weeks leading up to opening week. “We have to order the rights and scripts for the play, hold auditions, practice the play, block and organize scenes, build the set, find costumes and props, and so much more.  The directing and producing part of the play is really, really fun, but really, really time consuming,” she explained. 

All the hard work and time spent on this play is worth it knowing the cast and crew get to participate in something they enjoy. They are the ones that show up to practice, learn their lines, take notes, and work extremely hard to put on these productions. The show is theirs, and I am so very proud of them.

— Ashlie Schmidt, director

Juniors Emily Ferrell and Nora Borsich, and sophomores Kamiah Hubert and Adeleine Johnson all play the princesses. While it takes dedication to bring a play to life, students choose to commit because of the pleasure they get from theater. 

Hubert plays the role of Ellie.  She said “This play has such a fun and unique story, while also combining Game of Thrones and Disney together. I love playing a princess, because it is a fun experience. Being in this play has given me the opportunity to better my acting skills, and the cast and crew have become like a family to me.”

Students must love theater in order to dedicate months of work to a performance, and for many, it’s an interest they have had for years.  Ferrell said “I have been doing plays since I was in 6th grade. I have always enjoyed acting.” Ferrell got started in theater, because it gives her the chance to express herself.  She has most enjoyed being in the cast of Game of Tiaras because of how chaotic it is. 

Senior Evelyn Johnson plays the king and is another student that has been involved in drama for years.   She said “I started doing plays in 6th grade. I got into doing plays from gifted and talented drama.” 

Now that opening week has arrived, Schmidt and her cast as excited to perform for a live audience.  Schmidt said “All the hard work and time spent on this play is worth it knowing the cast and crew get to participate in something they enjoy. They are the ones that show up to practice, learn their lines, take notes, and work extremely hard to put on these productions. The show is theirs, and I am so very proud of them. I know they are going to do amazing, and I am excited for everyone to come and see this talented, amazing group of students!” 

Performances of Game of Tiaras will be held Friday, November 18th at 7:00, Saturday, November 19th at 2:00 and 7:00, and Sunday, November 20th at 2:00. Tickets can be purchased on Gofan (https://gofan.co/app/school/KY72615) or at the door for $10. All proceeds go back to the GCHS drama department.