The Crossing Chronicle

Reporting the News of Great Crossing High School

The Crossing Chronicle

The Crossing Chronicle

Poll

This poll has ended.

Do you plan to attend prom on April 13th

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Supporting Mental Health Doesn’t Have to be Complicated

Kaydence Johnson
Strong mental health is important for all individuals. Supporting those struggling doesn’t have to be complicated.

Mental health issues in students have been regularly overlooked. It’s not out of the ordinary for students to see other students struggling with depression, anxiety, or other mental illnesses. As a society, it is important to know that different people go through tough times, and how to be able to help identify those who struggle with mental health. 

Some people don’t always understand what the term mental health is referring to. Great Crossing High School’s psychologist Jennifer Leslie provided an explanation for the term. “Mental health is not simply the absence of mental illness, but it also means having the skills necessary to cope with life’s challenges.”

People can help with mental health by offering support, being understanding, and encouraging individuals to seek professional help if needed.

— Kendra Adams, junior

When it comes to experiencing a struggle with mental health, many students go to their favorite teacher or staff member for support or guidance. It is good for students to turn to adults rather than peers, because experiences adults have had may be valuable with helping those struggling. According to junior Noah Ashcraft, Morgan Ulery is the teacher that he looks up to and can turn to for advice. “Mrs. Ulery. She is a really sweet teacher and tries her very best. She has taught me so much in the time that I have had her.”

Many students want to seek help when it comes to mental health, but they don’t know how to seek help. Junior Kendra Adams believes that asking for support or help doesn’t have to be complicated. “People can help with mental health by offering support, being understanding, and encouraging individuals to seek professional help if needed.”

It is important for people to let others know when they are experiencing tough times. Ashcraft acknowledged that alerting others to struggles you may be experiencing is helpful. “When I lost my great-grandma it was terrible. When attending the funeral, I didn’t even want to go up to the casket. My dad had taken us over to her little house every weekend to see her. My father knew her time was coming, and we did too. She was amazing and her passing really affected me. I think that when you lose someone, especially someone you were close to, it really messes with you.” By letting others know helps benefit you in a way that holding it in wouldnt talking to others allows you to blow off steam and help the brain decompress your current situation.  

Seeking the help of a professional can help guide you to the best resources for help. Leslie said, “As a professional, I am trained in a scientist/practitioner model which has taught me to use resources and science in order to look for causes.”

It is important to educate yourself and others about mental illnesses by acknowledging the struggles faced by students. It’s also important to create a safe environment that promotes well being while making sure that there are enough resources to help.