The Crossing Chronicle

Reporting the News of Great Crossing High School

The Crossing Chronicle

The Crossing Chronicle

Poll

This poll has ended.

Do you plan to attend prom on April 13th

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Consider Lending a Hand to Help Others Celebrate the Holidays

With the holidays approaching quickly, families are starting to think about how they are going to celebrate. During the holidays, it’s easy to forget that some families could be struggling financially. Some families may feel extra financial strain during the holiday season, but find the holidays to be more stressful than joyful.

As the holiday season starts to unfold, it gets harder for families to be able to afford the basics of a holiday dinner. Most feel left out or embarrassed and feel like they can’t seek or ask for help. Elvia Taulbee, the family resource center coordinator for GCHS, confirmed this.  Taulbee said, “The biggest thing emotionally that some students deal with would be shame or being left out. They hear their peers talking about all the family traditions they have or what special food their family makes, and they are lucky to have just a regular meal every night.” 

People always appreciate invitations during the holiday season, especially if it helps them have the same traditions as those around them. Some people rely on going to a family member or friend’s house to get their extravagant holiday meal. Kaleigh Dunn, junior, said “I haven’t been able to truly experience my own holiday traditions due to my family’s struggle to make ends meet every year. I constantly face a decision every year on whether or not I’ll be able to celebrate the upcoming holidays in my own home.”

While it’s a struggle for some to afford the upcoming holidays It’s important to remember your worth during these difficult times. Dunn explained “Remember it always gets better; I know that might sound over used or cringy but it’s true. I’ve struggled countless times during the holiday season, and this saying has reminded me to keep going.”

It can feel lonely for someone unable to celebrate the holidays in the same manner as others. Junior Addisyn Lopez explained, “I have faced many challenges during the holiday seasons. I am not not able to host a big fancy celebration or have enough money to fund the experiences. This has affected me growing up and made me feel almost separated from the rest of the world.”

But the holidays don’t have to be a struggle if those that are able lend a helping hand.  The holiday season is a perfect time of year to make a donation to a canned food drive or to adopt a child from an angel tree. Taulbee explained, “I think donating shows compassion and that’s a great thing to have as a society. Helping someone you don’t even know could make a difference in that person’s life.”

This holiday season we need to come together as a collective group and open up our arms to help each other. Lopez said “Donating is very important to keep our society up and running. Donating can help a family feel important and viewed during the holidays. Therefore I highly believe in donating to others and helping the world to keep spinning.”

View Comments (1)