The Crossing Chronicle

Reporting the News of Great Crossing High School

The Crossing Chronicle

The Crossing Chronicle

Poll

This poll has ended.

Do you plan to attend prom on April 13th

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

ACT Test Creates Anxiety for Many Students

All+juniors+will+take+the+ACT+test+during+the+school+day+on+March+12th.++Many+students+have+anxiety+around+big+standarized+tests+such+as+the+ACT.++
All juniors will take the ACT test during the school day on March 12th. Many students have anxiety around big standarized tests such as the ACT.

With the testing season approaching, stress is something that builds as the dates for important tests get closer.  The ACT is a major test for many students since it is an entrance exam used by most colleges and universities to make admissions decisions. This leaves pressure on students’ shoulders to do well.

College is something that many students start to think about more during their high school years.  Therefore, the ACT takes on more importance to them. Senior Richard Oakley said, “ACT is important to me, because getting a good score on it greatly benefits my ability to not only get into better colleges, but also helps to gain scholarships for college.” 

Students are more than an ACT score—they’re worth more than any multiple-choice test that’s put in front of them.

— Lynn Fiechter, English teacher

The ACT is a test that should be studied for. Some do have to work harder than others when it comes to certain subjects or topics, however studying and looking at examples from older tests can prepare any student. Senior Gavin Erb stated, “I like to prepare for the test by checking out test booklets from the library to see what kind of problems are usually on it.” 

English teacher Lynn Fiechter offers students an ACT English and reading boot camp after school for students who would like help. This helps students to be able to have opportunities to learn more or understand new things they may see on the exam. Fiechter stated, “Of course, the test is not a prediction of future success. It can be seen as important, because it’s tied to college admissions and scholarship money. Earning benchmark scores in the four content areas can keep college-bound students out of remedial classes, which are classes the student must pay for, attend, and pass, but don’t count as hours toward their graduation. Another thing that’s important to note is that the ACT is a test of tips and tricks, and if kids attend bootcamp or do just a little prep on their own, they can likely raise their score.”

Fiechter said, “I feel for students who experience test anxiety as I have seen that reality while proctoring a variety of multiple choice and writing exams over the last 17 years. Kids get sick, lose focus, give up, freeze. I’ve seen that happen. One of the things I try to focus on in my English and reading bootcamps is that I see the ACT as a game, and I want students to see it that way, too. I teach timing tools, narrow down question styles, show them how to guess, and practice ACT-style questions with them.”

Setting goals helps students to work harder to achieve success, but goals should be achievable ones. Making goals that can’t be achieved is discouraging, therefore setting reasonable goals can help with a better mindset and motivation. Oakley said, “The only goal I really set was to get above a 30 on ACT, and to get a 3 or more AP tests. I just go in with that mindset and try to do my best.” 

All juniors at Great Crossing High School will take the ACT test during the school day on March 12th.  The exam fees are being covered by the Kentucky Department of Education, and all students are encouraged to put forth their best effort.  Regardless of the score earned, Fiechter wants students to know that the score is not tied to one’s worth.  She said, “Students are more than an ACT score—they’re worth more than any multiple-choice test that’s put in front of them.”

This poll has ended.

How many times have you taken the ACT test so far?