Archery Team Relaunches Program With Covid Precautions

Archery recently began its season and is hoping to provide an outlet for students while navigating covid precautions.

Alaina Fueda

Alaine Fueda, Staff Reporter

Every team sport is dealing with changes due to covid, and many teams anxiously anticipated being allowed to restart their sport. On October 27th, 2020,  Great Crossing High School’s  archery team had their very  practice in the field house since the pandemic began. Due to COVID safety needs to be taken into consideration, and multiple modifications have occurred to make a season possible. 

Restrictions have been made to make this season happen.  Assistant Coach Melissa Ramsey explained some of those changes.  “We should be gearing up for tournaments to start this month, and that has been pushed back. Also we have the mask requirement, temperature scanning-we take every archery archers temperature, and must have social distance as well. I think the restriction the students don’t like the most though is the new no food or drink rule. I know everyone misses their after school snacks,” Ramsey noted. 

Ramsey is supportive of the changes but also has concerns.  “My main concern is just keeping masks on and keeping masks on and keeping archers 6 feet apart from one another,” she said.

These changes have made many archers feel safe enough to return to the sport.  “My only concern for starting practice again if it will be normal with everything going on right now. “I am happy to say that even with a face mask and all the restrictions the coaches make it feel like a regular practice!” senior Kiaya Apple, said. 

Despite these initial changes that are happening to start practice, the practicing of the actual sport  seems to have not changed much.  “We haven’t had anything that takes away from the overall experience,” Trentron Roark,  junior noted. 

I am happy to say that even with a face mask and all the restrictions the coaches make it feel like a regular practice!

— Kiaya Apple, senior

a

While guidelines are in place to help make athletics safer, the fact that covid cases appear to be on the rise are keeping many participants on the cautious side.  “My few concerns are how we have such a large group that if one of us get corona we all would h ve to quarantine as well as some kids don’t want to wear or use masks even when we’re so close together,” Roark said. 

Although the season is pretty unstable with whether the season will end early or stay going for the year, so many  are grateful that a season has at least started.“I’d like to say thank you to all the archers and parents for being so understanding of the restrictions. We are very excited to be able to practice and want to do everything possible to be able to continue to do so!” Ramsey stated.