Sports Programs Deal With Quarantines and the Pandemic

Athletic+teams+are+becoming+more+comfortable+with+the+safety+precautions+that+allow+play+to+resume.++

Submitted by Kaylee Ray

Athletic teams are becoming more comfortable with the safety precautions that allow play to resume.

Kaylee Ray, Staff Reporter

All across the United States, athletes and coaches are being forced to adapt their seasons due to Covid 19. Guidelines are changing frequently and teams have come to understand to expect the unexpected.

Glenn Wilson, head girls basketball coach at Great Crossing High School as well as Scott County Middle School, has found that the pandemic has affected his teams tremendously.  “Covid has had a major impact on my middle school girls basketball season this year,” Wilson said. “The team has been in quarantine twice at the start of the season.” 

Quarantines and season disruptions take a toll on a team.  It can be hard for athletes to only get to practice a couple times before starting competition.  Practice is important because teams need that time to learn how to play with each other, as well as time to refine skills.

Covid not only disrupts practice schedules, but it makes the entire season feel uncertain.  Teams often have to come to terms with the fact that seasons may be delayed or come to an abrupt ending. 

This coming season I feel now that we know all the proper precautions to take in order to keep ourselves and players safe on and off the court.

— Keisha Young, GCHS girls assistant basketball coach

Timmi Williams, senior, dealt with a quarantine during her junior basketball season.  She said “It made me upset, because my team and I had already been in the gym, and we still didn’t get to start our season on time.”  

Quarantines or illness could take away from a player’s chance to compete.  Williams explained, “I missed two games due to covid.  I really wanted to play.” 

Another unknown is whether or not you will get the virus, even when one is trying to avoid it. Williams said, “I was very surprised when I got covid because I followed all the rules and still got the virus. This made me upset as well, because it caused my whole basketball team to have to quarantine.” 

The pandemic has made people more worrisome about the effects of bringing covid home could have on others. Wilson explained, “I was very anxious and edgy on the effect the pandemic could have on my family, teams and friends. Not knowing whether or not a player has covid and is unaware can be scary, especially if a family member has some sort of pre-existing condition that can make covid ten times worse.” 

Coaches feel more prepared, however, after having completed one season during the pandemic.  Keisha Young, Great Crossing assistant girls basketball coach stated, “This coming season I feel now that we know all the proper precautions to take in order to keep ourselves and players safe on and off the court.” 

Wilson admitted there were some surprise positives from this pandemic. He responded, “I feel the teams have become closer.” Since social distancing was highly recommended, the team had to get creative with communication. Wilson said, “We have stayed in touch through zoom meetings and the Remind 101 app.” 

The players also acknowledge that the support that came from the team was also a benefit during this period of time.   Williams said, “I relied on my teammates for support, because I know there going through the same things.”