Warhawks You Should Know: Andrew Stock

Andrew+Stock+is+a+member+of+the+social+studies+department+at+Great+Crossing+High+School.++

Seth Whittington

Andrew Stock is a member of the social studies department at Great Crossing High School.

Seth Whittington, Staff Reporter

This will be a regular feature where we introduce members of Warhawk Nation to our community.  Check back often to learn more about the people that walk the halls of Great Crossing High School.  If you are interested in being featured or have a suggestion for someone that we should know, please leave a suggestion in the comments.  

Name: Andrew Stock

Age: 24

Family and Pets: My fiancee’s name is Mackenzie, and we have two rabbits, Tammy and Ron

Favorite Class: In high school my favorite class was APUSH; in college, it was Reformation History.

Favorite Teacher: My favorite teacher in high school was Ms. Kim Brown. She was a stellar teacher and let the young history nerd in me debate her a little (she pretty much always won, though). She had high expectations of us, but not in a scary sort of way. She was probably the first teacher where I felt both significantly challenged in a class, but also well supported by my teacher.

School Activities: Currently, I’m advising GCHS Young Democrats (which is pretty student lead/centered), but I’m also coaching our Speech and Debate Team!

Job: I teach social studies now, but to add a bit of flair to the question, I also worked in a bakery for 7 years starting my Sophomore year of high school!

Best Moment of the School Year So Far: The top moment of the year so far was walking into my very own classroom for the first time in August in a brand new building. That said, it’s followed closely by tons of moments of watching my students overcome challenges, working together collaboratively to accomplish their goals, and applying historical learning and thinking skills into their everyday life. It’s hard to pick an outright winner!

Career Goals: Eventually, I’m hoping to get a Master’s in History and then a Doctorate in History or Education. Partially because with a doctorate the pay is slightly better and you get the fancy “Dr.” in front of your name, but also because my name lends itself so perfectly to the nickname “Doc Stock” if I had a doctoral degree and I just like the sound of it.

Favorite Restaurant: Local Feed’s Fried chicken is a current favorite, but Raising Cane’s has been my longtime standby.

Favorite Artist/Musical Group: This should come as no surprise to anyone who knows me: Taylor Swift. Her latest album is incredible, but I like pretty much all of her music!

Quote to Live By: Ok, I would say Samwise Gamgee’s Good in this World speech from Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers. But that is way too long. Look it up on your own time if you ever need a pick-me-up! But really, a good short quote I like is:

“The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice.” – Martin Luther King, Jr.

Anything Else People Should Know About You: When I’m not teaching at GCHS, I often spend weekends participating in Civil War Reenactments or more recently volunteering at Ward Hall just down the road from Great Crossing. I reenact as a Union corporal, and Mackenzie portrays a home-front abolitionist. I’ve always been of the mindset that the best way to learn history, if you can, is to see it in motion. And for the Civil War, the best way to do that is through going to reenactments!