Luck: Something of real benefit or simple superstition

Luck is a concept where many disagree.  Is it something to bring you good will or simple superstition?

Photo Submitted

Luck is a concept where many disagree. Is it something to bring you good will or simple superstition?

Skylar Freeman, Staff Reporter

When thinking of the month of March, one thinks of spring, blooming flowers, four leaf clovers, leprechauns, pots of gold and luck.  But what is luck really? What does it mean to have luck and to be lucky? 

Some say that luck can stem from objects, like a lucky pair of socks or perhaps a lucky penny. Some say that luck comes by coincidence.Others feel that a belief in luck is a superstitious habit. 

Some students at Great Crossing High School believe that luck is linked to many different things. Senior Adison Duvall-Coffmen said, “I believe that luck and karma intertwine. If you do good things, then good luck will come your way, but if you do bad things, then you know bad things will come.”

Many symbols are linked to luck, which gives someone the idea that luck is within their grasp. Sophomore Audrianna Guthrie, a student from Great Crossing, believes that her special ring holds the magic of luck.  She explained why she felt this way.  ”My grandma gave me a ring, and I associate it with luck, because everytime I wear it something good happens!”

As for some people, luck is just superstition. Levi Gillispie, a senior here at Great Crossing, shared his position.  “I feel that people can be superstitious about things revolving around luck, but I feel that luck isn’t really real. It’s just something people use to make sense of bad and good things that happen in life.”

If one chooses to believe in luck, it may keep them motivated to push through difficult situations.  The lucky rabbit’s foot may be the mental boost one needs to recovery from an injury or to have hope for a big win.  If one dismisses the concept of luck as nothing meaningful, then nothing is lost.